Tuesday, December 18, 2012

windows 8 is a WINNER!!!

The boss bought a new computer for the office and it had a factory installed version of Windows 8--basically that means you don't get a recovery CD. We probably have to make our own, but quite frankly we haven't gotten that far.

I set the woman using it up as Administrator and she typed in her own email/password blah blah. Then she realized she would have to log in with her password all the time and since she isn't that knowledgeable on the computer yet, I set up a Guest user so she could just go in under Guest and not have to worry about passwords.

I tried to install a video program today and naturally it brought up the Admin password. I don't know if you know this but Win 8 REQUIRES an Administrator account. For some freakish reason, it would NOT accept her password. We tried 9 million versions of it to no avail.

I called Staples and they directed me to Microsoft. Microsoft said they'd be glad to help me for $99. For a FREAKING ONE WEEK OLD COMPUTER! Naturally I said no. They then referred me to the manufacturer, Toshiba, who said my only recourse was to UNINSTALL WINDOWS AND REINSTALL.

Thankfully we had only been running web based programs at that point, but may I just say.....WIN 8 IS A PIECE OF SHIT. I *might have been able* to get rid of the password had I gone in under the installation CD but since it was pre-installed ...yeah, NO CD! I can't believe I had to go through all of that because of a lousy password. Yet, I'm sure a hacker could break into it in a heart beat.....

2 comments:

BRUNO said...

Sounds like just another half-assed version of Windows 7, as you can BUY a restore disc for it, as well.

I still miss the "old"-XP...

*Goddess* said...

I LOVE XP. I still can't find half my crap on 7 and 8 is nothing short of a disaster. A LOT of people are going to be taking those computers back. I can see that coming a mile away.