Saturday, June 02, 2012

series romance writers, please note

I'm reading a romance novel that is apparently part of a series by Vicki Lewis Thompson.

I know this because by page 28, I have heard about Eleanor, Jonathan, Jack, Diana, Wyatt, Olivia, Rafe, Sarah, Nick, Gabe, Olivia's father, Pam, Emily, Emmett, Clay, Josie, Sarah Bianca, Dominique, Morgan, Archie, and Mary Lou. Oh and let's not forget Rodney, the dog!

So to sum up, that's 21 people and 1 dog in 28 pages. Also known as FRICKING OVERKILL.

For those authors who write serial romances, please remember that readers don't need to know the back story on Every. Single. Person. involved in the previous books.

And I certainly don't want to feel that the story I haven't read is much more interesting than the story I am reading.

By the time Thompson overwhelmed me with all these characters, I didn't even care about the romance. I just wanted somebody to put me out of my misery.

Please, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, limit your series to two books. No more series with four and five brothers, and a sister tossed in for good measure. And just when we THINK it's finally going to end, it picks up more steam when illegitimate siblings are suddenly discovered.

If I want to be distracted by constant recapping, I'll watch a soap opera.

No comments: