Monday, January 17, 2011

time for another installment of .....I'M MAD AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

 <---Oooo! I have this one in my library! What about you?


The other day I received an email from Harlequin books telling me that their "best of 2010 ebooks" were on sale for 25% off.

I purchased a book and was reading it on Sunday. I wasn't liking it too much, so I decided to go on Amazon and see what others thought of the book. I usually don't read reviews beforehand because I don't want someone else's views to taint my interpretation of the book.

When I logged onto the site, I noticed a much older cover for the same book. Lo and behold, I discovered my "2010" ebook was really a reprint of a 1997 book!
 
I. WAS. PISSED.

It's bad enough that my four sleeves of Oreos have now shrunk to three, but there's no frickin' way I'm taking this!

I emailed Harlequin to complain and check out their little "blah blah we don't really give a shit" response:
"Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us.
Your comments are greatly appreciated. We at eHarlequin.com take pride in providing the highest quality of service to our vauled and loyal customers. Your feedback is vital to our success. It will help our site to evolve and become more consumer-friendly.
You may check publishing dates on the internet, we do apologize for the misunderstanding.
We are forwarding your comments to our Marketing Division.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us."

Notice what they DIDN'T say? "We feel really bad that you didn't realize this book was a reissue. Here's a credit for the amount you paid."

This is NOT the first time I've bitched to Harlequin about this issue. They reprinted a slew of Christmas books one year and passed them off as new, when in fact they were all at least ten years old.  Now I buy the majority of my Christmas books at used book sales.


I know that I am not the only consumer who has gotten duped in this same manner, so I can only assume that HARLEQUIN IS DELIBERATELY MISLEADING THEIR READERS.

If a book is a reissue it needs to state that clearly on the cover.

Yes, I can "check publishing dates on the internet," but the point is, I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. When I receive an email talking about 2010 books, then they need to be 2010 issued. I should be able to tell, simply by looking at the cover that is it an old book.

 So yes, Harlequin, I do have a "further concern": when do you plan to stop screwing over your loyal readers?

2 comments:

BRUNO said...

Be careful, or the NEXT-re-issue will come to you in MUH-laing-waige: Redneckeeeeze!☺

Naw, ah kin git yew wun o' dose thaings theys' calls uh "APP", thet wuld con-vurt id ovah to "Penna-Vaynya-Blond-ease"---buut idill cawst yur ayss a CASE of Pabst B.R., an' a ten-pound pile of very-lightly-seasoned, whole-hog sausage---in LINKS, please.

Or, of course, you could always just send the MONEY for such, instead?

(Cash ONLY, please! I mean, you already know how easy it is, to get ripped-off on the Internet, don't you...???☺)

Eleanor Elliott said...

Your blog post came to my attention, and I wanted to reach out and apologize for the response you received to your complaint. You’re absolutely right - we should have apologized for the confusion around reissues and offered you a credit for the book.

While we’re normally quite proud of our level of customer service we obviously dropped the ball in this case. I’d like to make it up to you – if you email me directly with the name of the book you purchased I will ensure you get a full refund. You can reach me at Eleanor_Elliott at Harlequin dot ca

I also wanted to let you know that your post brought to light issues with both the information we provide on reissued books and our response to these types of complaints. We are currently looking into the best way to identify reissued books on our site, and are revising how we respond to customers who have inadvertently purchased a reissued book.

Again, I apologize for your poor experience with our eHarlequin.com

Yours,

Eleanor Elliott
Director, Digital Properties & Social Media
eHarlequin.com