Tuesday, January 18, 2011

everything old is new again

My intent when I wrote yesterday's post about the Harlequin ebook I purchased was not to get my money back. I wanted Harlequin to stop the deceptive practice of putting new covers on old books. You do not put a new paint job on an old car and try to sell it as new.  The consumer has a right to know exactly what they're buying.

I also don't want condescending emails sent to placate me. I want this company that I have supported for over 40 years to know that their current practices are unfair to the consumer, and they are going to lose our loyalty.

I don't care what sort of fancy names Harlequin comes up with for it's reissues, but I do feel that the word "REISSUE" needs to appear clearly and plainly on the cover so that the consumer is able to make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to spend money on that book.

That having been said, I want to thank Eleanor Elliot from Harlequin for her candid response and her offer to refund my money. Had I received that sort of email yesterday, I wouldn't have had written about the issue at all. 

But I read the book, and I will pay for it.

However, I sincerely hope that this issue is NOT just addressed on the website as Eleanor suggested in her comment. It needs to be addressed on the book covers because if it isn't, then I have to believe that my earlier assessment that Harlequin is deliberately trying to confuse the consumer is correct, and I don't want to feel that way about about a company that I have respected for so many years.

2 comments:

Meadowlark said...

Actually, your response to the credit is how I often feel. I don't want my money back, I want you to OFFER to refund my money (and do something else -such as the RIGHT THING).

At least one person heard you... often that's not the case.

Peace!

BRUNO said...

Aww, c'mon---tell us how you REALLY-feel about it!☺

In all honesty, now, I don't "have a dog in this fight"---I wouldn't know the difference between a re-issue an' a hole in my ass!

Hmm. Not exactly how the ol' saying goes---but it SOUNDED-better that way, in this instance...!