Friday, March 26, 2010

love it!

Here's a song I listened to over and over as a kid--yeah, I totally recognized this 45!--and even though I had no idea what it was about, I still remember all the lyrics. Songs are weird that way. They seem to stay in your head a LOOOONG time. What brought it to mind was I just finished watched 'The Hangover' and it was on the soundtrack.

Anyway, I read this about the song from it's author: "It came from two Indian chants that I put music to. “Iko Iko” was like a victory chant that the Indians would shout. “Jock-A-Mo” was a chant that was called when the Indians went into battle." Don't know if it's true or not.


1 comment:

BRUNO said...

The Dixie Cups-version always sounded more Hawaiian, to me!(An' I didn't even need to look it up, to spell Hawaiian, either!)

Hell, if I tried to dance to this today, it'd sound like a damned-BEAR was tearin' me limb-from-limb, from all the SCREAMIN' of attempting to move that many joints at once....!!!