Sunday, February 21, 2010

TMI...too much information

Have you heard about this new site called Blippy? You get a profile and load up your credit cards, which supposedly aren't stored, and each time you make a purchase your friends can see it. It will say like, "Goddess spent $5.99 on Amazon."

Ummm, other than mine, whose business is this? If I spend $50 at WalMart, I don't think my mother or my sister in law needs to know that. Nor do I think they'd give a rats ass.

While the guys who started it SAY that it's about us being comfortable sharing all sorts of information, including financial info, I think this has EVERYTHING to do with marketing, and stores finding out all of your personal spending habits. I mean, what better way to target people than to go to a site where everything their spending habits are exposed?

Some people say it's a convenient way to keep track of your purchases. Yeah, so is pencil and paper.

Not that I'd ever join a site like Blippy, but if I did, I'd make damn sure the owners weren't allowed to sell my information because I bet that's exactly where this leading.

2 comments:

Texas Ghostrider said...

OMG, That is crazy! TGR spent 100 dollars on ammo, 600 dollars on a new gun, and 10 dollars on a pizza. Maybe the government or the local thug might want to come and raid TGR's house.............

BRUNO said...

"Goddess bought a pencil AND paper at Wal-Mart, for $5.99...!"