Friday, January 22, 2010

(not so) Funny People

I received the movie Funny People from Netflix on Thursday. I opened the envelope and the first thing I noticed was that the movie was TWO HOURS AND TWENTY SIX MINUTES long.

I can barely stand to see Adam Sandler in a thirty second commercial, let alone an almost two and a half hour movie. Don't even ask me why I ordered this movie. I said DON'T ASK, damn it! Ok, I guess because Sandler was stomach-able in Bedtime Stories. And it looked rather interesting.

SPOILER ALERT!!

The first hour and a half of the movie WAS interesting. But then when Sandler realized he wasn't going to die the whole movie went to hell in a hand basket. Ironic, huh? You'd think it would have been the other way around, but no, it started sucking the minute we realized he was going to live. Wait, on second thought, that makes perfect sense for a Sandler movie.

Sandler played George Simmons a big deal comedian, who was dying . Yaya, for the first half of the movie anyway. He hired Ira Wright (Seth Rogan) to write jokes for him. And be in some sort of strange bromance. Simmons said all of his goodbyes and made all of his apologies to his family and ex-love of his life, Laura, played by Leslie Mann. Laura was married with two kids at this point in time, but she forgave him.

When Simmons realized he wasn't dying, he went after Laura and tried to persuade her to pick up their relationship where they left off, but it was painfully obvious he wasn't into the whole kids scene. Laura slept with him (this all occurred in one afternoon) then told him she was going to kick her husband out and move closer to him.

In the end, George fired Ira, Laura stayed with her husband (Eric Bana) and kids, and Seth Rogan laughed uncomfortably throughout the entire movie as only Seth Rogan can do.

On a positive note, I did like Jonah Hill in this movie.

Funny People was not so funny.

11 comments:

BBC said...

A friend told me the other day that I might enjoy Whatever Works, by Woodie Allen. So I'll rent it and watch it.

I didn't do much of a post today, mostly just some camping pictures.

*Goddess* said...

I tried to watch a Woody Allen movie a few weeks ago and could barely sit through 30 minutes. He's whiney and annoying and I have no idea why people like him.

Then again, I have no idea why people like Barefoot in the Park. I thought it was atrocious.

*Goddess* said...

BTW, I reviewed Whatever Works a few weeks back. Too much Larry David.

BRUNO said...

Huh? What?? Lemme alone, I've got a hangover! Been watchin' too many MOVIES after 10:00p.m., without my glass of warm-milk...!

*Goddess* said...

Warm milk? I thought it was your trusty shot gun you always had by your side...

BRUNO said...

Oh no, NEVER in bed---that's for the evenings out on the porch, ONLY!

When I go to BED, I just set-up a trip-flare an' a Claymore!

And then I make sure to be REAL-careful where I step, when that warm-milk wants back OUT, a few-hours later...!

BBC said...

Woody Allen is weird, isn't he?

Shrinky said...

I have NEVER been able to sit through a Woody Allen movie, can't abide the bloke.

Who wrote this movie you just saw? I suspect it would've been far more enjoyable if the dying guy had pretended to his lady-love he's still dying, and enjoyed receiving countless mercy-lay's from her until she FINALLY (in her seventies, perhaps?) twigs on to she finshed with the lying, worthless prat for good reason, that first time around..

Dustin said...

Thanks for the warning. I personally enjoy Adam Sandler movies, so I might give this one a try at least. :)

*Goddess* said...

Carole, Judd Apatow wrote Funny People. He was involved with Pineapple Express and Step Brothers. And YES, Woody sucks. I don't get his appeal at all. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

*Goddess* said...

If you like Sandler movies, then you'll be fine, Dustin. I only liked him in Bedtime Tales.