Saturday, September 12, 2009

everything is never as it seems

Coming home from work on Saturday nights, I listen to Open House Party with John Garabeadian.

I cannot BELIEVE that stupid Fireflies song from Owl City is climbing to number one on the charts! Let me throw some of the lyrics at you.
"Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs
As they tried to teach my how to dance
A foxtrot above my head"
and as if that isn't bad enough
"You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies
Lit up the world as I fell asleep
Cause they'd fill the open air
And leave tear drops everywhere"

What the HELL is he smoking?! Next time spring for some good dope. This goofy song is like that crappy "Seasons in the Sun" from my generation.
"Goodbye, Papa, it's hard to die
when all the birds are singing in the sky,
Now that the spring is in the air.
Little children everywhere."
What the fuck?! Way to harsh my mellow.

When I was little, I began writing my own songs. One of my favorites had a chorus that began with the line, "I like cookies, I like Kool Aid, I liked peanut buddah cups". Tonight when I was coming home, I heard that "hotel, motel, holiday inn" song and I thought, "Shhhhhit. Had I known this sort of crap was going to sell, I would have pursued that song writing career much more seriously."

BTW, "Fireflies?" "Owl City?" He's got the whole animal thing going. I could have had the whole food thing going. I could have called my group the Processed Foods or Canned Goods.

No comments: