Monday, January 26, 2009

live your best life

I saw a bit of Oprah today. She was dealing with the subject of teens and obesity and she had a panel of teens, their parents and the two people from Challenge Day steering them through the process of coming to grips with their feelings. What a great idea, Challenge Day.

Two kids immediately caught my eye: Jessica and Nick. They caught my eye because they were two really good looking kids, and I wondered if anyone had ever told them that?

When I was young and struggling with my weight, I felt exactly the way they did. I hated myself and everything about myself. When I was in my 20's, my uncle casually said that a woman who we both knew and respected once told him that she thought I was very pretty. I wondered why he never told me that back when I needed to hear it. Not a "You have such a pretty face, if only---" and not a "You would be so pretty if---" . Just a 'she's so pretty'.

I'm sure the chances of them reading this are nil, but I'm going to say it anyway. Jessica, you are a very beautiful girl, and Nick, you are quite a handsome guy. Good luck to all the teens and family members.

No comments: