Sunday, December 14, 2008

sunday shakedown


Mr. G and I went grocery shopping bright and early because I had to go into work later in the morning. We checked out at 9:30 on a Sunday morning during the height of the Christmas shopping season at Wal Mart. Guess how many checkouts--manned by actual people--were open? THREE. That’s right, at a time when stores are supposedly begging for customers, we were lined up ten and twelve deep for three lousy registers. Ironically, I noticed most of us were buying groceries, not toys and junky gifts.

For the last several years, a co-worker and myself were responsible for doing all the Christmas decorations at work. No mean feat since my boss seems to have bought every damn Christmas decoration on the planet. We have to lug all the boxes downstairs, slap the stuff up, pack it back up and re-lug it all back upstairs, all the while Overtime Hawg does JACK SHIT. Our hours have been cut quite a bit recently, and the job is pretty much coming to an end in January, so my co-worker has decided to quit. I know that much of what my co-worker and I did was unappreciated, which is why she decided to jump ship early. When our hours were cut, Overtime Hawg continued to work and get paid for 14 more hours than the rest of us, even though I’ve been here the longest. When I approached the boss and asked her why this was happening, she gave me a blank look and said, “I don’t know,“ as if she’s not the one signing the checks. That was pretty much the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I decided that it was time to sit on my ass collecting a paycheck doing as little as possible like OH has done since she started. It has been a hoot and a holler, let me tell you. OH hinted around several times for me to get started on the decorating, but Homey don’t play that. Finally last weekend, she had her husband bring all the boxes down--she doesn’t do ANYTHING for herself. [Her husband works a full time job then comes here and does any physical work she needs done. And he’s 72!]The decorations sat there for seven days. I think she figured if they brought them down, my co-worker and I would do them.
I wish I would have saved thenote she wrote me because I would have posted the damn thing, it was so funny. She left this note telling me that the boss was crying because no one put up her Christmas decorations. At the bottom of the note, I wrote, “Yeah, I was wondering why you hadn‘t put them up, too.” LOL! Last week she left me a note asking me to do two things and I wrote back, “In the amount of time it took you to write this note, you could have done this yourself,” and I didn’t do it If I see something that needs done, I do it. I don’t pass the buck to someone else, and I resent her doing it to me. I said to my husband, “When this job is over, I HOPE TO GOD I never have to work with this woman again.” It was funny because later that day, my co-worker said, “The best thing about quitting is I’ll never have to see OH again.” Great minds think alike.

5 comments:

BRUNO said...

Thought you was long-gone from there a good while ago, already!

Get OUT of there, get ya' a LIFE, girl...!

*Goddess* said...

No, I just did something rare and shut up about it...LOL!

*Goddess* said...

BTW, I'd like to leave, but I have nothing else lined up and I can't be that irresponsible. The co-worker that IS quitting to "find herself" is boo hoo'ing about how she doesn't have money to pay the bills now. Then ride it out and when it's over, it's over, but I don't want to sit home doing nothing and put all the financial burdem on my husband.

*Goddess* said...

"Burden":)

BRUNO said...

Burdem.

That's what you get when ya' mix "Night-Train" with "Sprite", ya' ol' cheap-skate...!!!

("Robin-Hood" wine used to go for around a buck-fifty a gallon in the past. But I'm sure inflation has likely raised it to at least two-an'-a-quarter for three liters...!)