Friday, November 14, 2008

the root of all evil

I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST. There I said it. And even though I hate it, I force myself to go at least once a year so I don’t have to deal with serious issues. The other day, I thought I was going because I had two small fillings under my front teeth that needed fixed. The dentist lifted my upper lip to inject the Novocain into my gum and he said, “Did you know you have a bump above your front tooth?” And I said, “Yeah, I’ve had that for years.” He said, “That indicates to me that you have an abscess and you need to have a root canal done in that tooth.’ FUCKING SON OF A BITCH!! I thought the only way you got abscesses was to ignore a rotting tooth, which I didn’t have. Then he informed me that MAYBE the tooth died when he replaced the filling several years ago and it was close to the nerve. In other words, it did, and he just didn’t want to say so. I have no idea what I’m going to do. I don’t know how many people have told me that they’ve had a root canal, then had their tooth capped, only to have to have it yanked out later because it became infected again. I have no pain with the tooth, so I’m rather inclined to leave it alone, but my dentist insists that the bubble on my gum is filling up with pus then is draining into my system and that this cycle will continue until I have the root canal. He said, that it’s “inevitable” that it will fill with pus one day and not drain, thus infecting the whole tooth. Sigh. I swear to God they tell us that shit so we think about it and it becomes a self- fulfilling prophecy. I sure as hell don’t want to pay $300 for the root canal, $400 for the cap and then have to get it pulled and replaced by an implant, which is over $1k. On the other hand, I don’t want to get my front tooth yanked and replace it with an implant because there’s no way in hell those two teeth will match. Besides, who the hell has a thousand dollars to spend on one lousy tooth?

Way to go Fox News, keep trying to scare the shit out of the American people in regards to our new President. That damn O’Hannity needs to SHUT. UP. and give the man a chance. I wish I had a quarter for every time O'Reilly has said, "He scares me," referring to Obama, since the election. Gawd, I haven’t seen this much fear mongering since 9/11.

Speaking of roots, here is one of my all time favorite songs. The words are fantastic and I love the symbolism of "ripping love out by the roots".....

8 comments:

Mushy said...

Reminds me of my B&L who won't go to the doctor because he believes they just find something wrong on purpose.

In other news, Judy got her braces off yesterday.

BBC said...

I hate my teeth and they hate me, I spent thousands of dollars on them over the years making dentists rich and trying to save them.

It's all a bunch of bullshit they sell you in order to keep making money off of you.

I started making them remove them, I'm down to just six left and loving it.

Besides, some women love having their nipples gummed, someone else can pay for the dentists brats to go to college.

*Goddess* said...

How long did Judy have braces, Mushy? Niiice new pic of you:)

*Goddess* said...

No way, Billy. I'm in my 40's I don't want to be gumming my way through life...lol!

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Two words:
"Second Opinion!!"

*Goddess* said...

Two words: "new dentist!"

Shrinky said...

OK, you are going to hate me forever for this I know, but I have to tell you anyway.. sigh.

An abcess is SERIOUS. I know of a 23yr old healthy girl who DIED ignoring one. It somehow got into her bloodstream and spread to her brain. I don't know the in's and outs (what am I, a dentist??) I just know how devastating it was to lose someone over such a seemingly trival (and correctable) thing. Get it fixed, use another dentist for sure, rob a bank if needs be, but don't ignore it, okay? (Hugs)

ps, I've had two root canals over my lifetime, they suck, but are marginally easier than child birth, except noone sends you flowers afterwards.

*Goddess* said...

Well, here's exactly what he said, Carol:

"Does it need done? Yes. Does it need done right away? Obviously not because there's no infection there now." Then he proceeded to tell me to wait till next year when my insurance could kick in again, so you can see why I'm a tad confused. I thought abscesses didn't go away until you did something about it. He's telling me it's coming and going, so of course, I'm wondering why have I never noticed this?