Sunday, July 20, 2008

and they're all made of ticky tacky

I tried to get into "Weeds" last night, but I couldn't suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the show. I crapped out after three episodes from the first season.

I'm supposed to feel sympathy for a woman whose husband dies and leaves her with no money so she chooses to sell weed to support her family? How can she be portrayed as this loving mom who will do anything for her kids? If she goes to jail because of her stupidity and illegal activities, the kids have NO ONE. Way to go, Mom. And then I guess her yelling at some kid because he sold weed to minors is supposed to make her look like a decent human being in our eyes? Didn't work.

The blurb on the DVD said the show was "hilariously funny". Somebody needs to tell the writers that. I didn't laugh out loud once. (That's the "Goddess litmus test" for 'good' shows) I thought it was rather pathetic that she didn't sell her house, get rid of that money sucking LEASED vehicle, and move somewhere cheaper. Instead she chose to keep up with the Joneses and make money the easy way.

No comments: