Tuesday, June 10, 2008

i used to rule the world

Did you ever make a split second decision that changed your whole life for the worse? You know nothing is ever going to be the same and you just wish you had that second in time to do over? Yeah, I felt that way when I decided to try out Verizon's new email program. Blows. Totally blows. And there's no going back EVEN THOUGH it says you can. It just keeps taking you to the same new crappy email program. Sigh. Life.

Today was a joyous day: first day of Vacation Bible School. Female Offspring #7 came home with a macaroni self-portrait. I told her I was going to save it, and Male Offspring #2 said, "For sentimental reasons?"

I said, "Sorta. With the high price of food, this might be Monday's supper."

How nice. I'm watching this infomercial with Cindy Crawford, thinking how fabulous her skin looks and if the products work that well, I'm going to buy them. She goes on and on about how the dr. who invented them charges hundreds of dollars for the products, but they're so worth it. They pull up a photo of twentysomething Cindy and put it side by side to fortysomething Cindy and everybody raves at how little she's changed. Damn, those products must be golden! Then I find this quote she gave in Gala Magazine: "I'm not going to lie to myself. Past a certain age, creams work on the texture of your skin but, in order to restore elasticity, all I can really count on is vitamin injections, Botox and collagen… I have a very simple, healthy life, which works miracles. I drink a lot of water, watch what I eat and exercise. But I owe the quality of my skin to my cosmetic surgeon."
Thanks for the deception, Cindy!

Talk about coinkydink. I was discussing the film Juno the other day and today when my issue of Writer's Digest arrived, the screenwriter of Juno, Diablo Cody was on the cover. I think it was very well written, especially the characters of Juno and her parents. Wasn't real wild about Bleeker. He didn't even have that many scenes until the end. And I wasn't wild about the fact that he didn't step up to the plate and support her in any way. Then again, the film skipped from season to season, and I wasn't sure if she had pushed him away or if he was relieved she was handling the pregnancy on her own. What I found interesting about Diablo Cody's interview was when they asked her about the fact that she'd never written a screenplay and how did she begin, she said, "My now ex-husband convinced me to use our last $200 to buy Final Draft, so I just sat down and started writing a movie. It's that simple." Thank goodness for her ex, huh;) Just like Juno, the author even has a way cool name of Diablo Cody. Damn. Why weren't MY parents that creative?!

No comments: