Friday, February 22, 2008

now would i say something that wasn't true?

I watched the news video with Senator John McCain and his wife as they discussed the story about him having an inappropriate relationship with a lobbyist , and I'm sorry, but he did NOT strike me as a strong, confident man who was telling the truth. He seemed rather tentative and unsure of himself when the issue was brought up. When he talked about politics and his record, he was fine, but that wasn't why he was there. I know he was trying to draw the parallel between his service record, his Senatorial responsibilities and his honesty, but I felt he went about this incorrectly.

It always concerns me when a politician addresses a personal issue by immediately rah rah'ing about their "service to the country" and how "proud" they are of that work. To me, that comes across as a ploy to distract us from the issue at hand. I would think he'd start out with something like "This is my wife, whom I love and respect. I would never do anything to hurt her or my family." I didn't hear anything like that.

Oh, and check out how his wife watches him closely when he's asked to "describe his relationship" with the lobbyist...LOL!

4 comments:

BBC said...

One word..... weasels.

All politicians are.

~Fathairybastard~ said...

Patriotism is, and always will be the last refuge of a... you know. He's a smarmy bastard for sure, but I can't help but wonder how much of this is just the normal goings and comings betweenn politicians and lobbyists, with aids telling the lobbyist to "back off, it's beginning to look bad". The NYT never actually said he shtupped her, or that he did anything illegal, I don't think. They just put a story out into the national spotlight that was common knowledge in the beltway to create the impression and put him in the position to have to deny it all. par for the course with both politicians and the press.

having said all that, you're right. he didn't really do a decent job of explaining it. I think he's hoping that people will see the NYT as paretizan and forget about it quick.

*Goddess* said...

FHB, I think it's the fact that his wife is standing so close that has him nervous...LOL!

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"Service to Country" seems to be what gives Repulsiges the right to be hypocrites.