Saturday, February 02, 2008

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Tough shit. I'm willing to risk it. Hey, a little osteoporosis never killed anybody.

"Regular consumption of chocolate could weaken bone density and strength, which could in turn increase the risk of osteoporosis.

According to a new study, women who eat chocolate daily have an overall bone density 3.1 percent lower than those who consume it less than once a week. More than 1,000 women aged 70-85 were asked to keep a diary of how often they consumed chocolate or cocoa-based drinks.

The researchers did not distinguish between types of chocolate consumed.

Even though chocolate contains flavonols and calcium, both of which are linked to a positive effect on bone density, it also contains oxalate, an inhibitor of calcium absorption, and sugar, which is linked to calcium excretion.

This study comes less than a month after British medical journal the Lancet warned consumers that manufacturers usually remove the healthy element -- the flavonols."

5 comments:

SpongyBones said...

Men ... we can eat whatever we want!

BBC said...

"Regular consumption of chocolate could weaken bone density and strength, which could in turn increase the risk of osteoporosis."

Frankly my dear, I don't give a crap, something is going to kill me.

I don't eat it everyday, but if I want some I'm damn sure going to eat some.

It's all a bunch of bullshit. One day they say something is good for you, the next day they say it is bad for you.

Here, have a candy bar, go out happy.

*Goddess* said...

I don't believe for one minute it's the chocolate. I think it's all the refined sugar that causes the problem.

Mushy said...

OMG...you're doomed!

Lin said...

Great .... just when Mark starts to bring me home a real supply of chocolate with every supply run. Just shoot me now.