Monday, February 25, 2008

coming around again

Crap, crap, crappity, crap, crap, crap. My one co-worker told me we're going to be losing our jobs around Easter.

She said Boss #2 told Overtime Hawg. I'm guessing Overtime Hawg was listening in on the conversation between Boss #1 and Boss #2 because they're both pretty fed up with her, so I find it hard to believe either would confide in her.
On one hand, I'm glad cuz this heads up gives me a little time to decide what I want to do and look around, but on the other hand, I'm rather pissed our boss isn't coming right out and telling us so we don't get stuck at the last minute. We have a right to know when the job will end if she knows. I've gone to work one day and found out I won't need to come back the next more often than I care to think about. It SUCKS BIG TIME to have a pay one day and none the next. But I've had this job for six years and in this line of work, that's a good run.
I think it's time for me to move on. I'm not as panicked as I was when I heard about this possibility in December. Now I feel more like it's time to move forward, on to something better and more exciting. I think the only way to allay any fears I have is to be pro-active and move on to another job before this job ends because it's the lack of ANY income I'm fearing.

I honestly don't know if I want to stay in elder care. I'm kind of tired of it and I never really set out to do it in the first place. I kinda fell into it, and it's ok, but I want to be doing something that challenges me mentally and creatively for a change, and it would also be great if I was qualified to do something like that. Yuck. At least I'm not in the same situation as my co-worker who doesn't even have her high school diploma OR her GED, but still, it's not like I have a college degree either. My stomach hurts. I guess I'll do what I do every time I lose my job: sit down and write out what it is I want, then pray on it, and ask God to lead me where He wants me to be. And then I'll pray I have the strength (and the smarts) to listen.

9 comments:

Mushy said...

Oh my dear, I can't even imagine what that must feel like...I'm so sorry and I too will pray hard for you.

I don't know what else to say except that I'm hear if you need to talk or scream at someone.

I was never out of a job, but I was always in fear for some reason. However, God guided my life and it seemed to happen without much interference from me. Go with flow and keep the faith.

Shrinky said...

Oh Sweetie,

that just sucks! I am so sorry. You have a great track record and oodles of charm, I'm sure any prospective employer will gladly stand in line to take you on board. Good luck bonny lass, things generally have a way of working out for the best (even if it doesn't always seem so at the time).

BRUNO said...

You're still "kid" enough to learn a new trade, don't ever sell yourself short on that matter! Hell, one of the best apprentice-millwrights I ever had the privilege to train was a lady who's only working experience before was as a part-time school bus driver. BUT---the trick was---she was WILLING to learn a new direction. And, learn she did---upon MY retirement, she was the first pick to fill my old spot!

I---as in ME---learned a lot from HER about "bull-headedness", and the average American job.

So---look at it as furthering YOUR education. A sort of reality "college", if you will.

My wife went from scrubbin' toilets at highway rest-areas, to a certified maintenance tech/supervisor at an upper-class retirement home, because of at least a dozen different jobs she held in the past twenty years.

Overnight success? Hell no! But, once you start, you can only better yourself, with each move!!!

AMEN.......!!!

*Goddess* said...

Thanks all. I know I have to see it as just another step, and you're right, Bruno. Every job is for a reason even though we might not see it at the time.

BBC said...

Hum, as skilled as I am I've never worried about losing a job, I've quit more jobs than you can shake a stick at.

But I do wish you luck.

bugs said...

Ugh, this stinks. I sure wish the Boss had the balls to let you know a little sooner. Shit, that's not even a month's notice.

But I agree, you'll get a stellar referral letter, which will some in handy no matter what type of job you wind up taking.

Good Luck!

*Goddess* said...

Yeah, well that's the pisser, Bugs. I WANT a reference from my current boss, but I didn't tell her I'm looking. I don't know whether to give HER a heads up or not, and just list her and if they call her, they call her. Or leave her off and explain. But this is where I've worked for the last six years. What would you do?

bugs said...

Damn, that is a pisser. Well, I wouldn't just list her without telling her. I wouldn't leave her off, either.

I'd go straight to her: "I hear this rumor that we're getting sacked and I need to know if it's true because if it is, its really going to suck because I've really enjoyed working for you blahblah"

What it all boils down to is, you have a right to know what the hell is going on so you can make a plan and move on with your life.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

And then I'll pray I have the strength (and the smarts) to listen.
You're light years ahead of the next person!!
Just throwing a worker out the door with no warning seems incredibly cruel, until I stop and realize we have a President who kills citizens of other countries for the same reason: he doesn't need them.