Wednesday, January 09, 2008

It was a cup of good intentions, a tablespoon of one big mess

One of my siblings gave my dad a 6 pack of Coke in collectible glass bottles for Christmas, despite the fact that my dad is way too old to begin collecting anything at this point in time. It had the original Santa on them or some such nonsense, and my dad was thrilled with them. I was visiting yesterday and my mother was watching my nephew's little boy. We were sitting in the living room talking and he came walking in drinking soda. I said, "Where did you get that pop?" because my mother NEVER has soda at her house. It's always coffee, and if you don' t drink coffee, you're shit out of luck. My nephew's son said, "In the kitchen. Go get one. There are five more bottles out there." Ouch.
My mother went running out to dining room--no doubt to warn my dad not to fly off the handle and scare the crap out of the little boy--and my nephew's son showed me his Leapster math game. You have to get the answers right before you advance to the next level. What a rip off. I had to keep getting the answers from him. I can't see making the questions so hard that only an eight year old can get them right.

I received the movie "I Think I Love My Wife" starring Chris Rock yesterday, and coincidentally, as I was starting to put it into the DVD player, a Chris Rock special came on Comedy Central. Now I've seen Chris on Oprah lots of times and I've seen parts of his monolgues, and what I've seen I've liked, so I decided to watch the special. Totally soured me on the man. The whole thing was "white people this" and "crackers that." But that's ok, as long as it's a black person making fun of a whitie. What really made me laugh was when he was talking about there are no wealthy black people in this country. Not rich, but wealthy, as in passed down from generation to generation. There are lots of black celebrities, sports figures and musicians so I would think it's up to THEM--Rock included--to see to it that there are wealthy black people in the next generation. But, of course, that's the white man's fault, too, I'm sure. Now I'm not even watching the damn movie. Fuck it.

6 comments:

Mushy said...

U go gurl!

SpongyBones said...

I think this year I will run for the Black Chamber of Commerce. They can't not let me run can they...

~Fathairybastard~ said...

You need to go find the HBO special where he ripped his own folks. It's hilarious. Talks about how "there's Black folks and then there's N*****s, and that the N*****s have got to go." It's only one bit in the special, but he caught all sorts of hell for it at the time.

BRUNO said...

How many more times do we have to slap you with the REAL Oprah anyway?

My turn! CBS newsman Bob Schieffer, in his book, "This Just In", was interviewing a black Marine in country, during the Vietnam war. He asked him: "Have you encountered any racism, while you have been in the Marines?"

The dude just smiled and said, "Naw, man. Everyone's pretty much equal here. The Marines treat EVERYONE like a nigger....!"

Schieffer says in his book that he "wished there was someway that he could use that on the air---but there was no good way to put it!"

The "quotes" might not be accurate to the letter, but, you get the general idea. Different time, different place, same outcome...

*Goddess* said...

Actually ya needed to slap me with the REAL Chris Rock, Bruno:)

I've heard him making fun of black people, too, FHB. One of the funniest bits I've ever heard was him describing a black chick using a credit card to pay for her stuff, but it just seemed like everything came back to the "white people."

BRUNO said...

Yeah, I need a good slap every now and then, too! Wakes me up to reality! Which makes me so tired of tryin' to figure it out, I sometimes really don't care if I wake up again.

I tend to agree with Bill Cosby. The term nigger---as pertaining to blacks---will only disappear if blacks themselves are willing to let it.

And I know all about WHITE niggers, as well. My wife has a whole damned family of 'em. So obviously, it's not always about the color, is it?

Yep, Chris Rock is almost as entertaining as a Richard Pryor routine---after the first 3 minutes, you've got the "script" down pat, and don't need a written copy to participate.....!