Wednesday, December 12, 2007

nightmare on christmas street


I took Holly for a walk yesterday afternoon and was checking out some of the decorations in the 'hood. One neighbor gets my prize for "most confusing Christmas scenes" otherwise known as the "Huh?! Award."

She has three sections of decorations across her small front yard, and decorations stuck right on the front of the house. (I didn't even know that was permissible. Although it's certainly attractive.) One section of decorations was a ceramic house labeled "The Claus's" with a Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus standing next to it. I won't even tell you that Mr & Mrs. were taller than the house, and I spent several moments wondering how the hell they'd get through the front door.

In the middle was a big manager scene, complete with Three Wise Men and chipmunks climbing small pine covered light posts behind it. Off to either side of the manger were two sets of gawdawful wooden deer--knocked over, as if in a drunken stupor. Again, the deer were bigger than the manger people. On the other side of the manager scene was a grouping of Precious Moments ceramic angels around what looked to be a pine bough covered May Pole. I have no idea what that was all about. I'm thinking "Wiccan".

When we came home, Mr. G was just coming in from work. I said, "We were looking at the decorations." He said, "Let me guess which one caught your attention...." LOL! How could it NOT catch my attention?!

8 comments:

~Fathairybastard~ said...

Hilarious.

BRUNO said...

I miss the standard old "exploding-in-the-rain" strings of Christmas lights of the bygone days. Was a GREAT way to get the shit shocked outta you, after one too many egg-nogs!

Seems like the decorations each year now, get more and more in the category that YOU mentioned: The "what the HELL---???" category!!!

H2o said...

It makes me wonder why some people even bother.

BBC said...

You won't find any at my place.

BBC said...

Why do parents raise their kids believing in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy and things like that and then when they find out they were lying them why do the parents think they should believe anything else they say?

Lin said...

Is it just me or does it make you wonder what the inside of their house looks like? Come to think of it, have you seen these people? Maybe they are 18 foot tall so the Santa house seemed about the right scale, too.

*Goddess* said...

Well, Lin, let me put it to you this way, when my husband sees them out, he always says they're out looking for "human sacrifices". Their backyard is practically a garbage dump so NO I don't want to know what the inside looks like. Besides, from what I can see of the "sun porch," the bags of "stuff" go way up past their windows....

Lin said...

Yikes, I can see you guys being interviewed by channel 5 News someday and saying the usual "They kept to themselves so we never suspected them of pickling door-to-door types." I'm with Mr.G: enough room so that you never see your next door neighbor.