Thursday, November 01, 2007

veddddddy interesting

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought this article on mercola. com about white and dark meat was really interesting. It's weird, but most people have a strong preference between the two choices of Turkey meat, and this explains why:
Dark Meat
Simply speaking, dark meats are dark because the muscles are used more (think drumsticks vs. breast meat). They have more myoglobin proteins, which help ship oxygen to your muscle cells.
When dark meat is cooked, the myoglobins turn into metmyoglobins, which are very high in iron.

White Meat
White meat contains glycogen, which is a polysaccharide of glucose, an animal starch. Animal starch is stored in your liver, then broken down into glucose when it’s needed by the white muscle.

Nutritional Differences
Dark meat contains more zinc, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, vitamins B6 and B12, amino acids, and iron than white meat. Dark meats also contain more saturated fats, along with omega-3 and omega-6 fats.

Carb nutritional types thrive on white-meat chicken or turkey, while protein types definitely need dark-meat chicken or turkey, or red meat. Protein types prefer the dark meat because it has more fat and heavier purine-type amino acids while carb types prefer the lighter white meat.
Mixed types can usually do a mix of the two.

I was definitely right about being a "carb type" because I prefer the white meat/chicken, although I find lots of turkey white meat very dry.

Here's an interesting "test" that only takes about two seconds, and will determine whether you are more right brained or left brained. I found out I'm lame brained. Ar, ar, arrr. Actually I'm more right brained, which didn't come as much of a surprise.

2 comments:

BRUNO said...

I'm a "dark-meat-only" type! The only way I'll eat white meat is sliced REAL thin, or ground-up---otherwise, it'll choke me to death, literally!

But it's ALL good with cranberries...!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I hate turkey - a waste of chewing. Give me bloody red meat any day! And there's no hope for me at all, I'm right brained and left handed, great for creativity, bollocks for surviving in the real world.. ah well, I've got used to it.