Tuesday, November 13, 2007

damn

I just finished talking with my gf and she was telling me about the son of an acquaintance. We both know them to say "hello" and that's about all.

Their son was in a military group in college and very proud of that. He was recently stopped and charged with DUI, and he found out he was going to be kicked out of the military group. He became despondent over that and committed suicide over the weekend. He was a smart, good looking kid. 20 years old and his whole life ahead of him, but he couldn't forgive himself for one mistake.

We all have lessons to learn and some of them are quite painful. I think there are times that we are so focused on one goal, that we can't see that it isn't what's best for our growth. Life happens, things change and IN RETROSPECT, we often realize not getting our way was the best thing that ever happened to us. Sadly, he never gave himself a chance to find out what else life held in store for him.

My husband pointed out that it will be one horrible holiday season for this young man's family this year. I'm thinking many horrible holiday seasons to come.

3 comments:

BBC said...

Yes, many.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I know the horror of a suicide in the family. They will never recover. My heart goes out to them.

H2o said...

How sad........