Tuesday, September 04, 2007

i'm all cried out with nothing to say

WORDS OF WISDOM:
"For those of you who don't know what a blogger is, it is someone who has a laptop, an axe to grind and their virginity......one assumes."
Stephen Colbert

A recent study shows that 1 in 4 Americans said they didn't read a single book in the past year.
And 1/3 of h.s. graduates never read another book in their lifetime. Wow. I can't imagine not reading. I generally read romance, but I also read some non-fiction, mostly self-help stuff (that never really seems to help) and the Writer's Market/Writer's Market Companion.
Female Offspring #1 came home from college for the Labor Day weekend, and I just noted
last night that at one point we were all curled up in different places reading books.
Here's a few other things that were noted in the study:
Studies have found major benefits to people who read frequently, such as:
* Among students, frequent readers are more likely to be successful in the future
* Reading aloud to children helps them with language and speech development, and develops their sense of curiosity and imagination
* People who read a lot of fiction books tend to be highly empathetic and better able to judge people in social situations than those who don’t
* It’s stress relieving
I think reading started to decline the exact same time someone shot Woodsy Owl, the "give a hoot, read a book" owl. Oh, wait. Or was Woodsy the "give a hoot, don't pollute" Owl? Either way, the owl is dead and littering and not reading is way out of hand.

Speaking of Female Offspring #1, I asked her when she had to be back at school and she said, "I'm leaving early Tuesday morning."
Today was the first day I was actually be able to sleep in after working so much these last three weeks, so I said, "How early?" I hated the thought of having to get up at 5 or 6 a.m. to see her off.
She said, "Well, no later than noon." Ahhhh, I raised 'em up right.
It's 9:30 and I've been up since 8 and she's still sound asleep. LOL!

4 comments:

bugs said...

I can't imagine not reading. I used to love getting sent to my room, because that's where all of my books were.

When my brother was at sea, he emailed and told us that he was so bored, that he read a book. That made me so incredibly sad. Luckily, that book was the first Harry Potter and Brother has read all seven.

*Goddess* said...

OMG. You'd think he would have discovered reading a long time ago being at sea like that. I think females tend to be more readers than males. All of my nieces are readers and I think only two of my nephews are, meaning 7 of them aren't. And within my family, all of my sisters are readers, my brother isn't.

~Fathairybastard~ said...

With all my school shit, and all these blogs to keep up with, I don't read much any more ether. Have a stack. On day, when the big one does away with all this and the EMP kills the internet, I'll catch up.

Chewy said...

I read a 500 page SciFi book this week. - Didn't do much housework though.