Wednesday, September 19, 2007

goddess is climbing onto her soapbox

Let the rant begin....

People, it's bad enough that the greeting card industry and the candy industry rushes us from one holiday into another, must we do it, too? Halloween occurs in late October, and it's perfectly acceptable to start decorating October 1st, if you so desire. Slap out some of those corn stalks and decorate with the cutesy pumpkins......IN OCTOBER because Halloween does NOT begin the third week in September!!!

As if the card and candy bizzes hounding us isn't enough, now the lightening industry is getting in on it. Christmas is the season for decorating with lights, hence the term "Christmas lights". Suddenly I'm seeing red lights on Valentine's Day, green lights on St. Paddy's Day, and red, white and blue lights on the 4th of July. NOW orange lights for Halloween?! What is wrong with you, people? I spent days unraveling my big ball O'Christmas lights. When will the stupidity end? When I've wasted countless hours unraveling my big ball O'Grandparents Day lights? My big ball o'Friendship Day lights? Or my big ball O'Garbage Day lights?

Now IF you want to give more of your hard earned money to the electric company for Halloween, that's perfectly acceptable to begin doing so IN OCTOBER. I know, for I shall be slapping up so much clip art on my site that there will barely be room for posts. But I won't start until October 1st because anything else would be overkill.

Ok, I'm outtie. I want to start my Christmas shopping...

13 comments:

~Fathairybastard~ said...

yep, they already have Halloween stuff out at the grocery store.

*Goddess* said...

Grocery store? I wish!

I passed about ten houses that were LIT UP with Halloween lights last night. It's freaking crazy.

Dustin said...

Yeah, Im waiting till Oct. 1 to put all my halloween decorations out, kinda like Christmas decorations dont come out till after Thanksgiving (usually the day after, cause the whole family is home to help out).

BRUNO said...

Rant away, Goddess! You ain't the only one growin' tired of the early hype---earlier each year, it seems!

And it seems that Halloween only became a "holiday" in the past couple years, unbelievable that most public schools actually do "celebrate" it!

Damn---this ranting MUST be contagious---I was in a relatively GOOD mood until now....!

H2o said...

I usually close up the house on Halloween. The Mexicans have ruined a fun time with the kids in the neighborhood. They drop their kids off and they have showed up at my door asking to go to the bathroom or wanting something to drink. There just as bad as the holy rollers. Sorry for getting off topic....

CHEWY said...

I gotta get me some "garbage day" lights! Thanks for the idea.

SpongyBones said...

I use to work for Hallmark ... try writing and designing Christmas cards in FEB!

Catmoves said...

Even when I was a kid I didn't think of Halloween as a holiday. It was a night to get some free goodies and candies from friendly neighbors who would never have thought of hurting any of us. As soon as we got home with mom or dad or both, we got out of our costumes, had our baths and were allowed to have some of the candy. It was a fun time for kids, not a bloody holiday for adults to see if they could pee more money away on ridiculous house dressings than their neighbors.

*Goddess* said...

We don't put our Christmas decorations out until after Thanksgiving either, Dustin, but I wouldn't be surprised if people start mixing the Christmas decorations right in with Thanksgiving the way they're rushing us.

*Goddess* said...

Ranting is good for the blood pressure, Bruno:) I try to rant at least once a day.

*Goddess* said...

Asking to go to the bathroom, Becky? Are you serious? Damn.

Chewy, garbage day lights are in the Hefty section;)

Spongy, that sounds like a really interesting job. Have you written about that?

Catmoves, I think that last sentence could perfectly describe Christmas, too.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Oh My Gard! Don't get me started. We were in Walmart a few weeks ago, and I saw this weird looking thing on the shelf. "What the hell is that thing?" "It's Christmas decorations, stupid!!" I kid you not. In S.C. where a snow flurry happens every fourth or fifth century! My entire family has the same admonishment: "If I can't buy it on the web, you ain't gittin' it!"

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

We had our first Xmas card arrive this week, from a charity selling them. Also saw Xmas wrapping paper and cards in town. TOOOOOO ERRRRRLLLLLYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!