Monday, June 18, 2007

there you go again looking better than a body has a right to

I transferred about eight chapters of one of my novels from my desktop to my laptop and found that it's filled with this crap:

“That didn’t take long.â€
“Thank you. I have excellent attorneys.â€

EVERYWHERE I have quotation marks or apostrophes. Does anybody know of a freeware program that will get rid of that garbage? I HATE LIKE HELL to have to go through and manually correct all of it.

I saw a commercial for metal detectors and I had to laugh. The guy said, "I was finding the good stuff in my neighborhood the first day." Several years ago, our classy neighbor buried several appliances in what used to be his mother in law's in ground pool. So I couldn't help but think the only thing I'd be "detecting" in my 'hood is rusty appliances and beer cans.

7 comments:

Mushy said...

Word and Word Perfect would do it, but here's one to try that's free...

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/search/download.shtml

I never tried it, so I don't know what you will find, but it's worth a shot.

Ron Southern said...

That kind of disease is usually given by Word to Blogger editor. There are fixes for that, but what program is in your laptop?

david mcmahon said...

G'day Goddess,

Sounds like Mushy and Ron are right onto it. I feel your pain, as a fellow novelist.

Keep us informed of how it turns out....

David

*Goddess* said...

I'm transferring from Microsoft Word--Win 98 Second Edition to Microsoft Works Word--XP.

I guess if I was transferring from Word to Word it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't have Word on the laptop, just Works Word.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oh what a pain! I hope it's fixed soon.. but, hey - EIGHT chapters?? I'm jealous. Does this mean you're transferring them for to get going on it again? What's it about? Can I plagorise, pretty please??? (The muse has seriously left me recently..)

*Goddess* said...

That didn't work, Mushy. My files end in .wps and they only offer me .txt or .html

Plagiarize, Carol? Why would ya want to? You already have someone wanting to look at your work...unlike me...LOL!

Mushy said...

Can you not do a FIND and/or REPLACE on each document and put a ' in for the replacement?