Thursday, March 29, 2007

thoughts?

I was reading a news story about a 20 year old woman who charged a 56 y.o. guy with sexually abusing her when she was 11ish. He found out about the investigation and wrote her a letter telling her that he would give her one of six things, including: any amount of $ she wanted, a new car or a reasonably new car, and an apology. She told police she wanted to drop the charges because she was going to take the new car.

I think this sends a REALLY BAD message to other child sexual abusers who will now think they, too, can buy their way out of sexual assault, and I think the young woman will later regret the fact that she sold herself out like this. I also think it was really clever of the perverted creep to come up with something like this.

Part of me sits here thinking that IF she was going to accept any of his offers, why in the WORLD wouldn't she pick "any amount of money" and make the asshole pay through the nose...for her car and the therapy she's probably going to need later when she emotionally comes to terms with this? I wish her well with her decision.

Thankfully the police ARE going to press charges for intimidating a witness.

Thoughts, anyone?

6 comments:

Loving Annie said...

Too weird that she would even think money or a car would make up for physical and emotional hurt...

Maybe she thought there would be no justice in court, so she'd take what she could...

Not a good message to send regardless. But what is, in a case like this ??? Life without possibility of parole would be...

Dustin said...

Maybe there was a statute of limitations like there is in Indiana on rapes. I know here there is a 7yr rule, after that, you cant press charges.

Even if there was, this is still pretty f*cked up. No amount of money, or a car, or even an appology can take back what happened, and how it made you feel then or 20 years later. As a child molestation victim, I can tell you this, no money, car, or appology would make me hate the bastard that did it to me when I was 2 any less, but making sure he couldnt do it to another little girl while he rots in jail sure would!

*Goddess* said...

No, the police only dropped the sexual abuse charges because she told them about his letter and admitted she wanted the car. It had nothing to do with the statute of limitations. They were set to prosecute him.

I didn't post the link to the story, but I have it if anyone wants to read it, just email me and I'll send it to you. I didn't want people to know where the person was from.

Mushy said...

Just goes to show you what's really important to most people. She wasn't really hurt emotionally, she want a freaking new car!

Kate said...

It really is sad that a person could have so little respect for themselves. The bastard should fry, IMHO.

*Goddess* said...

Sad thing is she may have sealed some child's fate by leaving him free to molest again.