Thursday, April 27, 2006

i dont wanna hear that you adore me

Once again I opened the door to find the police on my front stoop, and once again, it was not
the one, cute officer on the force. It was the one that's old enough to be my grandpa's grandpa.
I said, "Ok, what did I do now?"
He said, "Ma'am, you need to buy your children some regulation bike helmets. It's the law."
I was flabbergasted. I said, "Um, hello? They *have* bike helmets. I made sure they were wearing them when they left the trailer this morning."
He said, "Ma'am, putting bubble wrap around their heads and securing it with duct tape is NOT the same as a regulation bike helmet."
I'm like, "What?! I even stuffed some of those styrofoam peanuts in under the bubble wrap as extra protection!"

On CNN yesterday, they showed a video of two young girls beating the snot out of each other. The video was posted on MySpace and apparently one of the girl's mothers was standing there watching the beating take place. Yet another contenduh for the Mother of the Year award. They showed the video and the anchor said, "Wow. That's pretty difficult to watch" as they proceeded to replay it every half hour.

Good news, kids. The Pittsburgh Pirates are off today. Thank God.

I do *not* want to hear about this newer, even *higher* high speed that is being introduced.
Called "internet 2," it can boost capacity up to 80 TIMES the current level. Hell, I'd just be happy to get internet ONE around here.

Yikes, I knew I was tired when I was chatting with Mike South last night, but I didn't realize *how* tired. He mentioned some cop friend of his and told me where to (not) look for pictures of him. So I was on this fishing forum--yeah the actually have those, believe it or not--and I was reading through some of the sn's, because I enjoy seeing what people come up with. One person's was "dewyafish," and I'm sitting there going "dewy a fish? what the hell is dewy a fish?!" LOL....actually it's a cool sn...you know, when I figured out it was actually dew ya fish. I admit, while I love reading sn's and vanity license plates, I'm lousy at figuring them out. I remember the first time I saw "2 good 2 B forgotten" I was thinking "the number 2 good the number 2 letter B forgotten"....huh?!

This is a tad strange to me. I was looking for a new forum to join since the COPS forum got so freaky. WW told me about another forum and I signed up there, but haven't posted. I've just been lurking around. Now I didn't pay much attention to the row of boxes on the person's posts because I ASSumed it was similiar to one we use on the Y&R forum. The longer you're on the forum, the more
stars or hearts you get and they also change colors when you reach different levels of posts. If you cause trouble you get a little orange square beneath your name, five orange squares and you're history.
Anywho, on this LEO forum they have what's called a "reputation system, and it consists of ten boxes. This is what it says, "Generally, a member with a green bar is over all well liked by most members, while someone with a red rep bar is generally disliked or disagreed with often." WTH? You get a negative reputation because people don't agree with what you've posted? Then it goes on to say this--which sounds like it's right out of a freaking video game rules list: "Generally, a reputation is given to someone not just when you agree or disagree with their post (although that is what the rep box itself states), but when when someone posts something extraordinarily good, or extremely stupid."
{"Extremely stupid"? By whose standards?}
"To see who has rep'd you, click on User CP (User Control Panel). You will see which user has rep'd you, if it was a positive or negative rep, and the comment, if any, that they provided. Here's how everything else works: Default Reputation What reputation level shall new users receive upon registration? 10 Register Date Factor For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. 30 Post Count Factor For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. 5 Reputation Point Factor For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. 10 Minimum Post Count How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 50 Until a member reaches 50 posts, their reputation will be sent to another member as a bluish-grey color, whether they agree or disagree with the post. During this time the member also cannot influence the other member's reputation level until they've reached 50 posts. Minimum Reputation Count How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 10 Daily Reputation Clicks Limit...." Further down it says if you link to the site, you get 1000 reputation points or if you refer someone you get 500 points. Unless I can freaking turn these points in for candy or prizes, forget it. I find this whole rating people's reputations on whether you usually agree or disagree with them pretty funny considering THIS statement: "Unlike most L.E. websites, the staff at blahblahForums.com values your right to "free speech. We are not here to babysit you, moderate you, or treat you like children" Really? Cuz it sure as hell sounds like it. They value "free speech"? I guess, as long as it's not "extremely stupid".
Judging someone's posts where everyone can see is unfair, IMHO, because some people are going to be influenced by that, instead of forming their own opinions.

Bugzzz writes: "That forum sounds like you've been transported back to high school."
It's a bit bizarre....

No comments: