Tuesday, January 31, 2006

oink oink moo moo

I love the Capitol One commercial where the guy tries to jam all the holidays into one visit with his parents.
"Kids, go upstairs and put on your Halloween costumes while Mom hides the Easter eggs." It's hilarious.

Bugzzz writes: "Buying breast milk from strangers is the creepiest thing I've heard of in a long time. Now, I'm sure that there is some sort of screening process that the milk goes through, to week out all the...well..."imperfections" I guess is the best way to put it. I'm waiting for the time when something happens, and some "bad" milk gets through. I can see the lawsuit from over here. We all want our kids to have the Hallmark sentiment of "sending us the very best" but I don't think this qualifies.

I wasn't breast fed, and my neither was my brother (we were both early..me by a month and my brother by about two and a half) and we both turned out okay. Granted, we aren't rocket scientists. Come to think of it, we aren't scientists of any kind, but you get my point.

The Buglet was breast-fed for awhile and then he decided he didn't want that anymore, that formula stuff was way better. He's turned out fine (for the most part). I support breast feeding and if you don't want to or can't and you want to buy breast milk from strangers at a cost that is nearly double (I think...my math skills are sh!t) that of formula....I'm all for it. Great. Do it. But I don't want to hear about it when it all goes bad.

Sorry this is so long....I didn't realize I was going to be so sensitive about this issue. I guess the cost factor is what gets me. Paying other people for a body fluid that is meant to sustain children. Gives me the creeps.

I'd better step down from my soapbox before the LeLeche League comes after me."

Well now, that's the scary thing. Apparently there isn't screening going on when it's just purchased online. If it's bought from a milk bank, there are exams the women have to pass and the milk is frozen, steps to be followed, etc. But one couple I saw just went online and started selling their milk. I'm like, "How the HELL do you know these people are HEALTHY??"
Some chicks are giving their child breast milk from seven different women. You can read more about it here. Now the purpose of buying breast milk when you can't produce it yourself is that it's supposedly healthier for the baby, so my favorite quote in the article was the line from Amy Redmond, who said, "It's kind of strange, but I guess you take the chance and hope the person (is honest about their health) because it's going to a baby." You're HOPING they're honest, so basically you're playing Russian roulette with your baby's health in order to keep it healthy.
I've read articles from some natural health supporters that say canned forumla isn't too bad as long as you add some borage oil for brain development.

No comments: